Hannah's Song (1 Samuel 2:1-10)
Dear Church Family,
This last Sunday we began “Christmas Carols,” our Christmas sermon series which will look at three songs of worship and anticipation over the next few weeks. We began with Hannah’s Song in 1 Samuel 2:1-10.
I invite you to use the response questions below to engage the Scripture further this week. These questions can be used for personal study, or for discussion with your family or Community Group.
- How does knowing Hannah’s story (1 Samuel 1) help us to understand her song (1 Samuel 2:1-10)? In what ways does her story illuminate her song?
- Did you see how Hannah organized and centered her song? (You can reference this annotated PDF of Hannah’s song, or use it as a handout if helpful)
- What truths about God does Hannah emphasize in her song?
- What examples can you think of throughout Scripture where God humbles the proud, and exalts the humble?
- In what ways have you observed God at work in your soul, humbling you, and exalting you?
- Why must we beware of pride?
- What do you find helpful in pursuing humility?
- How does Jesus teach us to be humble? (Phil 2:1-11)
- How is the gospel of grace exhibit God’s humbling of the proud, and exalting of the humble? (Eph 2:4-9)
- What is God’s ultimate plan to humble the proud, and raise up the humble?
- How do these truths encourage and/or challenge you?
More in Sermon Notes
June 25, 2019Fighting the Good Fight of the Faith by Following the Good Lord and Fixing Our Eyes on the Invisible
June 19, 2019Two Ways to Crave: Quarreling for More vs. Contentment in Christ (1 Timothy 6:2b
June 11, 2019Start With *Why*: Working for God’s Glory, the Gospel, and Christ’s Church (1 Timothy 6:1