May 2017 Shepherd's Letter
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
It is our prayer that you have been encouraged by our sure hope of resurrection as we have continued in 1 Corinthians 15 over this past month! Just a few weeks remain in our 1 Corinthians sermon series, and we look forward to spending our summer months in the book of Psalms.
Thank you to everyone who turned out for Care Net Pregnancy Resource Center’s Walk-for-Life! We believe in the sanctity of life, and we are thankful for their ministry for the sake of the unborn. If you have not yet picked up a “Care Net Baby Bottle,” we invite you to grab one in the foyer, fill it with spare change, and bring it back this Father’s Day (June 18) as we continue to support Care Net PRCS in their important work.
Finances: Our budget report for April is complete. The gap between our expenses and income closed for the month of April and we are thankful for the Lord’s gracious provision. That said, we still have an operating deficit for the year, and we remain dependent upon the Lord’s provision each month. Pray that God would give us wisdom to steward what He has provided, and please consider how you might give to support the ministry of the Gospel.
Coming Up in June
- Women, we invite you to participate in our Women’s Book Club! Their first meeting is this Thursday evening at 7:00pm. The first book is Unexpected Graceby Annie Garman. In its pages is her story of becoming the mother of a baby girl born with half a heart due to a congenital heart defect. Annie Garman lives in Triangle, VA and we are thrilled that she will speak at our first meeting. If you have questions, contact Lori Bridges.
- Men, we invite you to join us this Saturday at 8:00am for our Men’s Breakfast downstairs in the Gathering Place.
- Youth, if you are in 7th grade, you will be moving up into Youth Group this coming Sunday! Join us for Sunday School downstairs in the Gathering Place on Sunday, June 4, at 10:00am. In addition, on Tuesday, June 6th, the Youth Ministry invites all youth, parents, and siblings to join us for dinner at 7:00pm to celebrate the Lord’s work in the lives of our youth. This is a special evening of graduating our seniors, and welcoming our rising 7th graders. We will provide burgers and hotdogs, and we’re asking families A-F to bring side dishes, and families G-Z to bring desserts.
- Everyone, we invite you to join us for a mid-year ministry report and members meeting on Sunday, June 11, from 5:30-7:00pm. Childcare will be provided.
From Prince William County to Iceland
Please pray for our schools and the Prince William County School Board. It has come to our attention that the school board will be voting on June 21 to incorporate “sexual orientation and gender identity” into their non-discrimination policy. This policy change has significant implications for several in our church family, and for thousands of students and their families throughout our county. Please reference this past sermon and blog post from last fall to review the significance of this issue. We will be sending you an update specific to this in the next few days.
Please be in prayer for our Community VBS and the ministry of the Gospel that will occur throughout our community this June 19-23! This is our first year to participate in Community VBS and we are thankful to be part of this exciting ministry. Please pray for the host homes and ministry workers from our church who will be ministering the Gospel to children from our neighborhoods. Parents, if you haven’t already, we encourage you to register your children for Community VBS (June 19-23).
Last, pray for our church’s involvement in missions. Locally, pray for our youth summer missions trip (August 13-19) as we will be ministering here in Northern Virginia. Missions trip applications will be available later this week. For those of you interested in helping Gunnar Gunnarsson in Iceland, a team is assembling for a trip tentatively scheduled for mid to late September. If you are interested in serving on this team, please contact Dave Ross as soon as possible. Continue to uphold Gunnar’s family and especially his newborn son in your prayers.
As we conclude our series in 1 Corinthians, prayerfully consider how you might grow in holiness, love, and unity. May the Lord make us a gospel-minded people!
Grace and peace to you,
(on behalf of the Elders)
- June 1 – Women’s Book Club (7:00pm)
- June 3 – Men’s Breakfast (8:00am)
- June 6 – Youth Senior Graduation (6:00pm)
- June 7 – PWCS Board Meeting (7:00pm)
- June 9 – Game Night Fellowship (7:00pm)
- June 11 – Members Meeting (5:30pm)
- June 16 – Youth Laser Quest (6:30pm)
- June 19-23 – Community VBS
- June 21 – PWCS Board Meeting (7:00pm)
- July 30 – Discover OBC: Part 1
- August 13-19 — Youth Mission Week
- August 27 – Discover OBC: Part 2
More in Blog
May 22, 2018Unshakeable Faith: Seeing Christ Through Haggai’s Temple
May 18, 2018Introducing Haggai
May 16, 2018Comfort in Vengeance