June 2017 Shepherd's Letter
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
This last month has been full of activity in our community. We are glad for the opportunity to partner in the gospel with other churches in our county for Community VBS, and thankful for the host families and the many volunteers who served. They devoted time for training, preparation, and then a week of ministry to the children and families of our community. Pray that the truth of the Gospel as it has been sown in hearts will bear fruit!
In addition, thank you to everyone who gave voice to the truth as we engaged with the Prince William County School Board over these past months. On June 21, the Board voted 5-3 to add “sexual orientation and gender identity” to the PWCS non-discrimination policy. This requires our careful attention to identify curriculum changes and implementation which could threaten the privacy and religious freedom of students and staff. May God give us wisdom to stand and compassionately advocate for truth. Pray for PWCS staff, students, and parents, and that God would supply grace and wisdom for us to be faithful in the increasingly difficult and changing landscape of PWCS.
We are grateful for God’s gracious provision as Beth Comoglio and Jean Conn have served as our admin team. Beth is transitioning to spend more time with family, and Jean will continue to serve in the office.
As we reflect on our worship service schedule change this last January, we are appreciative of the good fruit we have seen, and will continue with the 8:30 and 11:00am worship service schedule for the foreseeable future.
As we reviewed our finances, we decided it was prudent to send a more substantial update than our usual monthly summary. You should receive the update early next week. Please continue to pray and trust the Lord as we consider how we might be generous for the sake of the gospel.
Coming Up This Month
- Join us this Sunday for Great Commission Prayer at 6:00pm. We will spend the evening praying for the needs in our church family, our community, our country, and the nations. Childcare is provided for children six and under.
- Women, you are invited to an evening of fellowship at the home of Veronika Kolomichuk on Thursday, July 13, at 7:30pm.
- Youth group outing. All youth group, and members of the family who are not attending the women's fellowship, are invited to an outing on Thursday, July 13, from 5 to 8pm at the Lake Ridge Community Swim Club (3 miles from OBC on Old Bridge Road). Attendance is free. Just sign in at the front desk.
- Everyone, come labor with us as we work with our hands to provide food for the needy. Join us on Saturday, July 22, for gleaning with the Northern Neck Food Bank. Details are posted at the HOPE Desk located at the main entrance.
- Are you newer to OBC? We invite you to attend Discover OBC (Part 1) on Sunday, July 30, from 12:30-3:00pm. Enjoy lunch together, meet pastors, get to know Occoquan Bible Church, and learn more about the gospel and the local church.
Summer and Fall Missions
- Continue to pray for our church’s involvement in missions. Our youth will be ministering locally in Northern Virginia (August 13-18).
- For those of you interested in helping Gunnar Gunnarsson in Iceland, a team is assembling for a trip tentatively scheduled for mid to late September. If you are interested in serving on this team, please contact Dave Ross as soon as possible. Continue to uphold Gunnar’s family and especially his newborn son Salomon in your prayers.
Grace and peace to you,
on behalf of the elders
- July 9 – Great Commission Prayer
- July 13 – Women’s Fellowship & Youth Group Outing
- July 22 – Gleaning
- July 30 – Discover OBC: Part 1
- August 11 – Game Night Fellowship
- August 13-18 — Youth Mission Week
- August 27 – Discover OBC: Part 2
- August 29 – Family Discipleship Night Kick-Off
More in Blog
November 17, 2017Don’t You Want to Thank *Someone*: A Thanksgiving Meditation
November 15, 2017Walking Worthy: Growing in Unity and Maturity (Ephesians 4:1
November 9, 2017Adoption and Orphan Care: More Than a Sunday Announcement