Going Deeper into Matthew 5:33-37
What does it mean to live as people of truth in a culture that's so often less than truthful? As we continue in our series on the Sermon on the Mount, this last Sunday we looked at Matthew 5:33-37, where Jesus teaches about oaths, vows, yeses and nos. As disciples of Jesus, we must understand what it means for us that every word we say is captive to God's truth.
Listen to the sermon podcast, and we encourage you to engage the text through the discussion questions below.
33 Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’
34 But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
36 And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.
37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.
- What has been your understanding of the relationship between Christians and the swearing of oaths?
- How does the Apostle Paul’s discussion of his inability to visit the Corinthians (2 Corinthians 1:16-20) inform us on how to live under a ‘yes,’ ‘yes’ paradigm?
- In what ways does Jesus’s teaching in Matt 5:33-37 reflect God’s desire for the people of God of Zechariah 8?
- What is the significant difference between swearing an oath to the Lord and swearing by heaven, earth, Jerusalem, or your head?
- What are some ways letting our word be yes, yes, and no, no, play out in the church?
- How should Christians view oaths today? How do scriptures like Exodus 22:10–11, Deuteronomy 10:20, Romans 1:9–10, Philippians 1:8, 1 Thessalonians 2:5, and 1 Thessalonians 2:10 inform us?
- What are some things that keep us from being totally truthful in the church? In our families? With ourselves?
More in Blog
August 17, 2018Fasting: A Few Common Sense Resources for an Enigmatic Practice
August 15, 2018How to Pray (Matthew 6:5-15)
August 6, 2018The Giving Show